Sunday, November 18, 2018

Pluto's Christmas Tree


Premiered November 21, 1952.

Mickey Mouse (James McDonald) and his dog Pluto (Pinto Colvig) go out to the woods to chop down a Christmas tree. 


Unbeknownst to them, the tree happens to be the home of chipmunks Chip (James McDonald) and Dale (Dessie Flynn). 


When the tree is brought home and decorated the chipmunks are very taken with their new surroundings.  They play with lights and wreck ornaments, which attracts the attention of Pluto. 


The dog is determined to protect the tree from Chip and Dale.   


Can Pluto stop the chipmunks from destroying the Christmas tree?

J.A. Morris says:
That's a pretty short summary, because to say any more about this seven minute short would give away too much.  It's just a beautifully animated Christmas cartoon filled with great slapstick comedy.  Pluto is also depicted lots of cool poses.


I first saw Pluto's Christmas Tree when it aired on one of Disney's anthology series in the early 1980s and I've been a fan ever since. 


I always feel bad for Pluto because he's simply trying to be a good guard dog.  Chip 'n' Dale come off as jerks in this short, even if the tree was their home. 


I don't think I'm spoiling the toon too much when I tell you that, in the spirit of Christmas, Mickey and Pluto become friends with the chipmunks by the end of the short. 


For added fun, Donald, Minnie and Goofy make a cameo as carolers. 


Pluto's Christmas Tree is a lot of fun and highly recommended to audiences of all ages.

J.A. Morris' rating:






4 candy canes!

3 comments:

Bob Johns said...

I love this short as well and it still holds up today. This is one of those I have on DVD that I will pop in every year just before I watch Scrooge McDuck.

J.A. Morris said...

Thanks for stopping by Bob! We love the Scrooge McDuck cartoon as well, here's our review of that in case you haven't seen it:
https://holidayfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2012/12/mickeys-christmas-carol.html

Bob Johns said...

I Did read your review of Mickey's Christmas Carol and I agree I'm surprised it never caught on to become a classic as well.